Reid

I noticed him in the fall of 2015.  He came to an oyster meeting and stood out from all the rest because of his interest and aptitude.  He is tall, young, cute and ready to be an oyster farmer as his main occupation.  He started working for Sharon over on Alligator Harbor and I was sad -- because she nabbed him first.

Then he had a car accident. A very bad accident.  I followed his recovery on his fathers Facebook page.  It was heart breaking.  We all wondered if he'd ever walk again.  But this was Reid. And Reid masters everything and overcomes obstacles.  He has recovered and is walking and is so amazing.

I met him and his father at a Wakulla Environmental Institute event in the spring -- and asked if he would help me.  We exchanged numbers. 

Months later -- in July, Reid started working for me.  It was like a dream come true.  His youth and vitality. His knowledge of the water - his boat - and the oysters is such a huge help to me.  He heads out regularly, tends my oysters as if they were his own, and gets the work done. 

I watch him in his 15ft Carolina Skiff and it seems as if they are one. Quite a contrast to my fudging my way as a captain of my Ginny. He moves through the lines with perfect control.

Now, he has found and renovated a new boat - a 21 food Carolina Skiff and she is a beauty.  He put a cabin on it - that will be heated.  He built a culling table and has it rigged for oystering. 

And Reid got his own lease over on Skipper Bay. 

He'll still be working with me - but I am delighted he has his own opportunity to do this right from the start.  Our mistakes, issues, errors are all learning opportunities for all who care to learn.

Watch him grow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Movie, OYSTERMOM