Infrastructure - part one

The Lowrance lit up when I  had connected it at the dock.  I saw the logo then went about attending to casting off and getting underway in the channel.  But then, it was dark. Gone.  Could I make it through Dickerson and Skipper Bays to weave my way around the oyster bars and low water to get to the Aquaculture Use Zone (AUZ)?  I had relied on the GPS so much - even on regular outings to the Wakulla Environmental Institute (WEI) Research lease in Skipper Bay.  Could I make to to Oyster Bay?   Of course not I decided -- and then it clicked on and Michael, Topper and I set out to see the new anchor pole installation on my lease.  

The water was glass and the morning fog clouds had lifted but still held a grey blanket overhead.  The temperature was expected to rise to 70 today and with low tide at 12:30, we were out and about early and ready for a long day.

At the AUZ, Bob Ballard, Exec. Dir. of WEI and two salaried oystermen, E.J. and John Wallace were preparing to install lines.  That lease is one lease west of mine, and owned by some guy I've never met, named Tony from south FL but he's moving to the panhandle to try his hand at oyster farming.   He has hired the father and son team and they have built out every inch of the lease.  Half of the lines running N-S; half E-W to accommodate changing winds.  He'll be able to raise Millions of oysters on that acre and a half.   The rest of us who have struggled through the WEI oyster aquaculture class are less endowed with funds. We are doing the work ourselves and have one,  two or three lines. 

I have hired Docks for Less to install my anchor poles.  Something I had hoped would work out better than it has.  On first try, January 1, 2016, after struggling in 18 knot winds to tow the barge out to the lease with Jack's boat - Charlie came to our rescue with the Pretty Queen and pushed us out.   Once there, the winds increased and a cold, bone chilling rain began.  No bother - David Keith was going to get it done - well until he discovered the stabilizer rods essential for the task were rusted tight.  We motored back - pushing the barge still laden with the 20 marine treated 12' long poles.  David and his crew huddled in the cockpit of the Pretty Queen with Charlie and me.  Poor Jack was completely exposed to the elements in the Key Largo.  Chilling day. Wasted Day. 

Today, we see that David, with the Pretty Queen, were able to make progress with the installation last week, when Jack and I were struggling to overcome the colds we caught on the previously outing.  Eleven poles are in 4 on the south end and 7 at 250 ft. north of those.  They are not straight.  They are not standing straight. But they are in.  I am counting my blessings for that and wondering how and when I will be able to get the riser poles installed and the lines strung. 

We watch Bob, EJ and John as they enter the chest high water and begin to wrap the line.  It is cold and even though they are all in wetsuits, they are shivering.  Wrap twice around the pole, wrap out the line then back upon itself and tuck in the end.  Simple when its warm.  They stretch the line across the lease - John asking if I'll vote for Trump as he tows my boat across and we exchange those carefully selected jabs one politely does with a member of the opposite party. 

We watch as they work the come along and line grabber to tighten the line. Bob at the ratchet saying once you think you have it tight enough, ratchet at least three more times. 
They are freezing but jovial and probably thankful for our presence for the levity we bring to the situation.  It looks easy enough - except for the water level.   Michael believes he can assist if I decide to string lines myself. 

We say our good bye's and head back to the WEI lease and begin to work the oysters.  Same as last time, so Michael needs no instruction.  He is however, wearing gloves.  The day warms, the sun tries to shine and the water stays calm. 

When we are close to the end of our day, Matt and Tim stop by and Matt loans us his sorting tubs.  Michael is impressed at how much faster they make the task.  I lament that Jack has not constructed my own sorting device. It remains a vision in his mind, not a tool on my boat.   Someday.

We chat about wetsuits and the next time out on the way home.  I am filled with thankfulness for his eagerness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Keller Women

The Movie, OYSTERMOM